Installing an exterior landscape lighting system is a great way to add beauty, curb appeal and safety to your yard, gardens, walkways and entrance areas.
There are several landscape lighting types and techniques that can be used to enhance your property.
- Pathway– These illuminate sidewalks, stone pathways and lawn walkways while adding a hint of intrigue to boulders and plant beds.
- Spot and Accent– This lighting draws special attention to a specific feature. Specifically angled up-lighting or down-lighting can be used to accent an architectural design, plant, or other feature.
- Wall Wash– Lights that create a soothing, even glow that comes off the wall or structure it’s focused on. Shining the light alongside the wall will allow an even and subtle ambient lighting on the desired area. The eye is directed to textures, shape and/or height differences of items in beds while adding depth and ambiance.
- Moon Lighting– Created by placing a large fixture with a full glare guard high up in a tree while angling it downward. This results in attractive shadow patterns on the ground while also providing a very natural and beautiful lighting effect. This effect looks like moonlight shining down through the branches.
- Shadowing– Achieved by placing the fixture towards the base of a feature, aimed towards an adjacent wall. The goal is to create a soft shadow and is best achieved by utilizing a tree with open, delicate foliage.
If you are looking to update the exterior of your home, consider LED landscape lighting. LED lights are very energy efficient, provide better visibility and have a long lifespan.